Explore and Discover (E&D) was founded in 2002 by a group of parents with the common goal of creating a high-quality infant-toddler program in Northwest Denver. Goals for E&D included offering flexible scheduling, a strong community focus as well as parent education and social connection opportunities for the families it serves.
E&D is now an established early education facility with a known reputation for high-quality infant-toddler care in the Highlands area. E&D is a nonprofit program that provides licensed childcare for infants and toddlers ages 6 weeks to 36 months. Our curriculum is modeled after the Reggio Emilia Approach to the Education of Young Children, which encourages children to actively explore their environment and express themselves through the use of materials all within a rich social setting. This approach offers exciting and innovative ways to teach young children and emphasizes active learning, social interaction and a positive learning environment. (See Reggio Emilia Approach for more detailed information).
The purpose of E&D is to operate a parent cooperative infant/toddler childcare center. The philosophy of E&D is to provide an environment that supports and respects the child as he or she is. Through the guidance of qualified teachers, the child has the opportunity to explore and enrich his or her world physically, emotionally, and intellectually.
At E&D, we envision a world where every child has the opportunity to explore and enrich his or her world physically, emotionally and intellectually in an environment that supports and respects each child.
Four principles guide the Cooperative and the E&D Advisory Board decisions, priorities, and budget allocations. They are as follows:
- Provide a Reggio Emilia-inspired educational program that promotes the development of infants and toddlers and prepares these children for their future learning and social environments.
- Provide a flexible, high-quality educational program that supports a family’s decision to use part- time or full-time care.
- Build a dynamic program through equally valued cooperative efforts by staff, parents and community members.
- Instill diversity, inclusivity and cultural acknowledgment throughout the Cooperative and educational program.
E&D’s program includes:
- the infant/toddler childcare program, offering families flexible childcare 1-5 days, and
- a parent cooperative that provides families the opportunity to be involved in their child’s day to
The E&D advisory board consists of parents and the program director. Working within a set of operating bylaws, the advisory board oversees the operation and administration of the program and coordinates and implements recommendations by various cooperative committees.